About Me

My photo
We ate well and cheaply and drank well and cheaply and slept well and warm together and loved each other. - E.H.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Of butches and bathing suits

Gender identity being the tricky thing it can be, swimwear presents a bit of an annual challenge. To be fair, most of the swimming I do these days is on the banks of the Ottonabee river, so its not like anyone's watching - but that's no excuse really. Here's my dream. A line of hot, vintage, gender-bendy swim wear.  Because I want to look like this guy.


Or this guy.


There will be stripes, and buttons, and pretty ladies will love me (see fig. 2). I read somewhere that these outfits were traditionally knitted, and I'm not sure how I feel about woolen swimwear. I may go for more of a cotton blend...
Anyways, this is definitely on my winter to-do list. I will post pictures.


3 comments:

  1. I think you're really onto something. Shorts and a black tank top or sports bra are passable, but a bit utilitarian (if you can even call wet cotton utilitarian). Bring on the sexy vintage swim attire for butch-types!

    (Not to mention that you’d look great in stripes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also my dream! Wool seems it would be far superior to anything with cotton in it, but technical wool fabric is so expensive/ non-existent. Let me know when I can place my custom order.

    ReplyDelete